Corn combines with heavy cream and butter to make this easy Skillet Creamed Corn recipe. It’s easy enough to make as part of a weeknight dinner and delicious enough to serve as a Thanksgiving side dish!
Made in only a few minutes, this delicious side dish is perfect for dinner any night of the week or on special occasions like Thanksgiving or for Christmas dinner.
If you love corn like I do, then you’re in for a real treat with this delicious recipe! There’s something about cooking corn in a skillet that brings out ALL the delicious flavor!
Skillet Creamed Corn is an easy-to-make recipe that only requires a few basic ingredients. Simply stir together in the skillet and be prepared for the yummiest corn you have ever tasted!
If you would like another yummy side dish, be sure and check out my easy Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes recipe. They’ a’re easy to make and also perfect for the holidays as they spend most of their time hanging out in the crockpot. Then, simply mix them up and serve.
⭐ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ⭐
Easy to Make – Cooking this recipe is really as simple as just mixing and heating the ingredients on the stovetop!
Simple Ingredients – All of the ingredients can easily be found in your grocery store. We even have a substitute option for the heavy cream if you don’t have it on hand and can’t get to the store.
Easy Clean Up – The entire recipe is made right in the skillet, so you’ll only have one pan to wash!
Besides being a delicious side dish, you can also used this creamed corn to make the classic Jiffy cornbread with creamed corn in a cast iron skillet recipe or in my mom’s super moist cornbread recipe.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
- Corn – We use well drained canned corn. If you prefer, you can use frozen corn, but you’ll want to defrost it first or heat it in the skillet according to package directions before adding the other ingredients. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh sweet corn, that will work too!
- Heavy Cream – This is what gives the recipe its creaminess and is an essential ingredient. If you don’t have it on hand, see the Pro Tips section below for a substitute.
- Butter – The dish gets its buttery taste from using real butter.
- Corn Starch – This is essential for thickening up the creamy sauce.
- Sugar – We use regular white granulated sugar.
📌 Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list with quantities and step-by-step instructions!
To add some smokey flavor, you can fry two slices of bacon in the pan before adding the corn and then break it up into pieces.
If you like onion, finely chop a small onion and cook it in the bacon grease before adding the corn (or just in a bit of butter if you’re not doing the bacon bit).
For additional seasonings besides salt and pepper you can add in garlic powder or parmesan cheese
🥣 How to Make
1. Place corn in a pre-heated skillet.
2. Add sugar, butter, salt & corn starch. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
3. Stir in cream.
4. Continue to heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture is hot.
⭐ Pro Tips ⭐
Substitute for Heavy Cream: If you don’t have heavy cream on hand but still want to make this recipe, you can make a heavy cream substitute by mixing together 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup melted butter.
Watch Your Heat: Don’t turn your heat above medium as you’ll run the risk of scorching the cream.
More Side Dish Recipes to Try
If you tried this Skillet Creamed Corn Recipe or any other recipe on my site, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it turned out in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing your about your results and thoughts!
Skillet Creamed Corn
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- 16 oz Corn
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Place corn in a skillet.
- Add sugar, butter, salt & corn starch. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Stir in cream.
- Continue to heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture is hot.