This Cherry Fruit Marshmallow Salad combines canned fruit with cream cheese, whipped topping and marshmallows for a sweet and delicious fluff salad the whole family loves.
I know a lot of people have a hard time calling something that is so sweet and delicious a “salad” but if you grew up with potluck dinners and meals at Grandma’s house like I did, then you probably call these delicious marshmallow and canned fruit creations a salad too!
This particular recipe is a favorite because it adds cream cheese to the whipped cream and to give it an extra rich and creamy texture.
Marshmallow fruit salads are great for summer BBQs, to bring to a potluck dinner, as part of a weekend brunch – pretty much any time. And even though it’s called a salad, I think they make a great dessert.
One of the key tips to making a fruity marshmallow salad is to make sure that you drain your fruit well before adding it to the mixture. Too much liquid can make the whole thing end up thin and even runny, rather than thick and fluffy.
The best way to drain is to dump the contents of your cans into a colander or sieve and let it sit for at least 10-20 minutes. It’s even better if you can stir it once or twice while it is draining.
The one exception to this is the cherries. You’ll need to drain those separately since you’ll be saving 1/4 cup of the liquid to add to the salad.
This recipe is also very open to swaps and variations. You can swap out other types of canned fruit in basically any combination. You can also opt for a flavored cream cheese like strawberry or honey.
For the marshmallows, you can opt for fruit marshmallows in pastel colors that can add even more colorful shades to your salad.
Let’s get on to the recipe!
Cherry Fruit Marshmallow Salad Recipe
Cherry Fluff Salad Ingredients:
(See recipe card below for amounts and complete instructions.)
- cream cheese, softened
- whipped topping, thawed
- can of fruit cocktail, drained
- can of crushed pineapple, drained
- can of maraschino cherries, drained with ¼ cup juice saved and set aside
- mini marshmallows
How to Make Marshmallow Fruit Salad with Cherries:
In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and whipped topping until well blended.
Add cherry juice, mix well.
Add fruit cocktail, crushed pineapple, maraschino cherries, and mix with a spoon.
Add marshmallows, and give it a quick stir.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
PIN IT ON PINTEREST:
Cherry Fruit Marshmallow Salad
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 8 oz container whipped topping thawed
- 1 can fruit cocktail drained
- 1 can crushed pineapple drained
- 1 can maraschino cherries drained with ¼ cup juice saved and set aside
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and whipped topping until well blended.
- Add cherry juice, mix well.
- Add fruit cocktail, crushed pineapple, maraschino cherries, and mix with a spoon.
- Add marshmallows, and give it a quick stir.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Leave a Reply