This delicious Stuffed Strawberry Shortcake Recipe combines strawberries, marshmallow, pineapple and whipped cream to mix with the cake’s “insides” for an amazing dessert everyone loves.
Thanks to Carol at Kooky Carol’s Kitchen Concoctions for today’s recipe!
It’ss strawberry season here in Maryland and I’m so excited! Fresh strawberries bring back such good memories from my childhood.
My parents had a great big farm that they would grow strawberries on and my mom would make the most delicious strawberry jam every year. She would enter it in the county fair and always won the blue ribbon.
When I was a child I would have to go to that farm and weed a row of vegetables before I was allowed to play. Somehow I always talked a friend into helping me.
In my case, the berry didn’t fall far from the vine because now I am making homemade jams and cakes with these luscious strawberries.
As a matter of fact, I went to my local farmers market last week for a few strawberries and when they told me this would be the last of the strawberries for the season I panicked and bought 4 more pints.
Ok, you’re thinking that’s not bad but I have already made 8 jars of homemade strawberry jam, 10 jars of strawberry glaze for pancakes and waffles, strawberry trifle, banana strawberry bread, strawberry cookies, and strawberry scones. I think I might need a 12 step program for a strawberry addiction.
The recipe I’m sharing with you today is my great, great grandmothers and it’s so delicious. The angel food cake is so light and fluffy and there’s a surprise inside.
You know you have a great recipe when it gets passed down through that many generations!
Stuffed Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
• 3 half pints whipping cream (divided and whipped)
• 3 tbsp. confectioners sugar (1 for each pint)
• 1 cup cut strawberries
• 30 mini marshmallows
• 1 10oz. can of crushed pineapple (drained)
• 1 tsp. vanilla (divided)
• Whole strawberries for decoration
How to make Stuffed Strawberry Shortcake:
1. Prepare angel food cake according to directions on box and let cool completely.
2. Cut top of cake off about 2 inches from top.
3. Cut around inside of cake leaving 1 inch around sides, inside, and bottom.
4. Pull out inside of cake, pull it apart and place in large bowl.
5. Whip cream until light and fluffy adding vanilla and sugar.
6. Add strawberries, pineapple, and marshmallows to bowl with inside of cake in it and gently stir.
7. Add to mixture and fill cake with it.
8. Replace top and ice generously with remaining whipping cream.
9. Add a few strawberries to top for prettiness.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Stuffed Strawberry Shortcake with Marshmallows and Pineapple
- 1 Angel Food Cake Store-bought or homemade
- 3 half pints whipping cream divided and whipped
- 3 tbsp. confectioners sugar 1 for each pint
- 1 cup cut strawberries
- 30 mini marshmallows
- 1 10 oz. can of crushed pineapple drained
- 1 tsp. vanilla divided
- Whole strawberries for decoration
- If baking cake yourself, prepare according to directions on box and let cool completely.
- Cut top of cake off about 2 inches from top.
- Cut around inside of cake leaving 1 inch around sides, inside, and bottom.
- Pull out inside of cake, pull it apart and place in large bowl.
- Whip cream until light and fluffy adding vanilla and sugar.
- Add strawberries, pineapple, and marshmallows to bowl with inside of cake in it and gently stir.
- Add to mixture and fill cake with it.
- Replace top and ice generously with remaining whipping cream.
PIN THIS RECIPE: