This Pumpkin Pecan Crisp is the very essence of a delicious fall dessert! The flavors of pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon highlight a yellow cake mix topped with the nutty deliciousness of chopped pecans. It’s a dessert the whole family loves!
If you’re looking for a dessert that will WOW your family and friends, then look no further than this super easy-to-make Pumpkin Pecan Crisp!
The yummy dessert treats your tastebuds with flavors of pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon while offering both creamy and crunchy textures.
The flavor and texture of the addition of chopped pecans take this yummy dessert over the top. It’s so good!
This Pumpkin Crisp with Pecans is perfect as an after-dinner dessert for the family and works equally well for family get-togethers. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser!
I personally love to serve myself a warmed up serving in the morning for breakfast. After warming it up, I like to pour just a tiny bit of coffee creamer (or half and half) over the top – so good!
And while this recipe calls for canned pumpkin, if you want to make your crisp even more homemade, you can use this easy recipe to make your own pumpkin puree in the Instant Pot.
Before I get to this recipe, I NEED to let you know we have a bunch of other delicious Pumpkin Recipes perfect for fall! Let me know your favorites!
So, now that your mouth is truly watering, let’s get on to our yummy Pumpkin Pecan Crisp recipe!
⭐ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ⭐
Easy to Make – Basically all you have to do is mix your pumpkin filling and then layer every thing in your baking dish and throw it in the oven. Anyone can make it!
Simple Ingredients – All the ingredients can be found in your local grocery store. If you want to get extra homemade you can always make your own pumpkin puree or use the extra recipe below in place of a boxed cake mix.
Perfect for Fall– Both pumpkin and pecans are classic fall flavors, so combining them together is even better! It also makes the perfect Thanksgiving dessert.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve made notes below on some of the ingredients needed. Look them over as I offer substitutions where possible.
- Pumpkin Puree – Be sure to use 100% pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. You can also use our homemade pumpkin puree recipe.
- Evaporated Milk – This concentrated milk has a slightly sweet, creamy taste that will add moisture and richness to the pumpkin crisp.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – You’ll get better flavor from pure extract vs. imitation vanilla.
- Yellow Cake Mix – You can buy a box from the supermarket or make your own homemade yellow cake mix with the recipe below.
- Chopped Pecans – They give the dessert that crunch and the classic fall flavor when combined with pumpkin.
When it comes to choosing the ingredients for your recipe, especially the things that add the flavor like cinnamon and vanilla, good quality really DOES matter. It comes through in the taste of the final dessert
📌 Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list with quantities and step-by-step instructions!
🥣 How to Make
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP 2: Stir together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
STEP 3: Sprinkle the cake mix over pumpkin mixture in an even layer.
STEP 4: Top the cake mix with the pecans.
STEP 5: Drizzle the melted butter over the pecans.
STEP 6: Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown. Allow the crisp to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
⭐ Pro Tips ⭐
- Cool Before Storing: If you won’t be eating all of your crisp right away, be sure to let the pan cool completely before covering to avoid the pecans loosing their crunch.
- Make Sure to Use Pumpkin Puree: Don’t substitute canned pumpkin pie filling for the canned pumpkin puree. If that is the only thing you have to use, you’ll need to reduce the amounts of both seasonings and sugar to compensate.
NOTE: This recipe calls for a yellow cake mix, but if you don’t have one handy, you can make your own.
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
📝 Recipe FAQs
This dessert tastes delicious all on its own, but if you like you can top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
The short answer is NO. While the two cans look similar, pumpkin puree is only pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling adds in sugar and spices. If you use pumpkin pie filling in your recipe it will turn out too sweet and possible over spiced.
If you don’t have evaporated milk on hand, you can make your own with regular milk from your refrigerator. Just pour 1 2/3 cups milk into a saucepan. Bring it to a simmer and let it reduce until it amounts to one cup. Allow to cool before using.
If you love “crisp” desserts as much as I do, then be sure and check out our Skillet Peach Raspberry Crisp! This delicious dessert incorporates both peaches AND raspberries for an oh so delicious dessert!
OR!!! What about an absolutely mouth-watering Classic Rhubarb Crisp? This yummy recipe is just like Grandma used to make! It is super easy to make and only takes 8 ingredients.
More Pecan Recipes You’ll Love
Pumpkin Pecan Crisp Recipe
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.1 15-ounce can pumpkin, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle the cake mix over pumpkin mixture in an even layer.1 package yellow cake mix
- Top the cake mix with the pecans.1 cup chopped pecans
- Drizzle the melted butter over the pecans.1 cup butter
- Bake for about 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Allow the crisp to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.