My family seems to be on a casserole kick lately! My husband and daughter are constantly in the kitchen, head-to-head, concocting their latest masterpiece! To be honest, I am loving seeing the two of them in the kitchen together. My dad would have never been caught dead in the kitchen with my mom (unless he was grabbing a soda from the fridge!) In my humble opinion, if a casserole has some pasta and lots of cheese, I am halfway to food nirvana!
This week, the dynamic duo came up with this Turkey Stuffed Shells Casserole recipe. I love their using ground turkey sausage instead of ground beef. My husband and I are both watching our cholesterol, so that is a smart substitution in this recipe. This recipe is pretty classic, sans the use of the turkey. It is the base for our lasagna recipe as well. This recipe is fun to make because you get to roll up your sleeves and get your hands messy! My daughter usually stuffs the shells, so you know they will be plenty full, which makes my belly quite happy! This is the perfect meal to serve with a lovely green salad and a loaf of crusty bread. Yum!
Turkey Stuffed Shells Casserole Recipe
1 Box jumbo pasta shells
1-pound ground turkey sausage, cooked
1 Tub of ricotta cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 jar of pasta sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided in half
2-3 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Bring your pasta to boil. Rinse and set aside.
Step 2: Cook turkey. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
Step 3: Add your cheese, egg, salt and pepper and Italian seasonings. Blend well. Add in turkey.
Step 4: Pour a layer of pasta sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.
SIDE NOTE: This Cuisinart lasagna pan looks awesome! It’s going on the “kitchen wish list”.
Step 5: Stuff your shells and place seam down in your 8×8 pan. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 1 Box jumbo pasta shells
- 1-pound ground turkey, cooked
- 1 Tub of ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided in half
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brown the ground turkey.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.
- At the same time as above, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 1/8 cup salt.
- Cook pasta shells according to directions, but for 2 minutes less. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and egg. Add salt and pepper and Italian seasonings and blend well.
- Add in the turkey.
- Pour ½ cup of your pasta sauce into a lasagna pan (just enough to coat the bottom.)
- Fill each shell with the meat/cheese mixture. Place seam side down into sauce coated pan.
- When the pan is filled with shells, top with ½ cup of remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Add remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 173mg Sodium: 708mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 40g