This Slow Cooker Pumpkin Turkey Chili Recipe is the perfect hearty recipe for fall with a hint of pumpkin spice.
Once fall starts coming around we start seeing Pumpkin Spice Everything! As soon as the first leaf falls in the northern climates it’s a mad rush to grab the pumpkin.
But it seems like almost all the foods using pumpkin are sweet. Why is that? Pumpkin is actually a vegetable and we usually see veggies in savory dishes rather than sweet.
So, amid all the pumpkin muffins, cookies and cakes of the fall, I want to share this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Turkey Chili recipe.
This pumpkin chili is a hearty and delicious meal perfect for fall. And one of the great things about it is that it cooks right up in the slow cooker.
And using ground turkey rather than beef (which of course you can do instead if you want), it makes a lean meal packed with veggies and beans.
Since this recipe calls for browning the turkey and onions before adding to the slow cooker, I love to use my Cuisinart 3-In-1 Cook Central Multi-Cooker.
It lets you brown/saute the food right in the cooker and then switch over to continue to cool on a slow cook setting. It means no extra dishes and basically one less step.
Once you are done cooking and serving, just pull the liner of the pot and throw away. You’ll be left with a totally clean slow cooker with nothing to wash!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Turkey Chili Recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 15 oz. can chili beans
1 15 oz. can seasoned black beans
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
How to Make Pumpkin Turkey Chili in the Crockpot:
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add ground turkey and chopped onion. Continue to cook until ground turkey is crumbly and no longer pink, and then drain and discard any fat.
2. Transfer cooked turkey and onions to a slow cooker and stir in all remaining ingredients. Set Crockpot to the low heat setting. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
3. Serve hot with cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.
Chili is always great served with a crusty bread. We recommend our Easy Garlic Cheese No Knead Bread recipe!
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Don’t worry if you don’t have Pumpkin Pie Spice in your spice cabinet. You can easily make your own pumpkin pie spice with four common spices. Here’s how to do it:
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans
- 1 15 oz. can seasoned black beans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add ground turkey and chopped onion.
- Continue to cook until ground turkey is crumbly and no longer pink, and then drain and discard any fat.
- Transfer cooked turkey and onions to a slow cooker and stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Set crock pot to the low heat setting. Cover and cook for 3 hours.