This DIY dishwashing tablets recipe is easy to make with a few simple ingredients and gets your dishes CLEAN!
When it comes to household chores, one of my biggest pet peeves is getting the dishes done right. We are lucky enough to have a dishwasher but sometimes, dishwasher detergent doesn’t cut it.
I often find my dishes left with stuck-on food or residue. It’s definitely not appealing! Naturally, I wanted to make an at-home solution. I knew that there must have been a way to create an effective dishwasher solution/detergent.
And so, I came up with my dishwasher tabs and I couldn’t be more proud. They are comprised of essential oils and work phenomenally. Not to mention, these are pennies on the dollar to make.
Compare that to how much you’d buy dishwasher pods for! Cost-effective and clean-efficient is my kind of combination! We have made a powdered homemade dishwasher detergent in the past, but I like these even better.
I also love that these make an awesome, practical gift. It help that they look so pretty if you pack them in a Mason jar and then tie some ribbon around the rim of the jar. If you want to be extra thoughtful, if you know what the recipient's kitchen looks like, you can choose a ribbon that coordinates with their kitchen!
Here is what you need to make your Homemade Essential Oils Dishwasher Tabs:
Arm & Hammer Super Washing SodaMILLIARD Borax Powder – Pure Multi-Purpose CleaneAmazon Brand – Solimo Epsom Salt Soaking Aid3-Pack Variety of NOW Essential Oils: Citrus Blend – Orange, Tangerine, LemonLorann Oils Liquid Food Color, 1 oz, OrangeOMorc Ice Cube Trays 4 Pack
- 1 cup washing powder (This is found on the laundry aisle of the grocery store or you can order it here)
- 1 cup borax (This is found on the laundry aisle of the grocery store)
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt (If you don’t have Epsom salt, you can use table salt, sea salt or coarse Kosher salt)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 15-20 drops of citrus essential oil(s) (I used orange and lemongrass)
- Food coloring if desired (I used a few drops of orange food coloring. This will not stain your dishes in any way)
- Ice cube tray or silicone mold
How to make Homemade Essential Oils Dishwasher Tabs:
Step 1: Add washing soda to a medium size bowl
Step 2: Add borax
Step 3: Add baking soda
Step 4: Add Epsom salt or table salt, sea salt or coarse Kosher salt.
Step 5: Add essential oil(s)
Step 6: Add food coloring
Step 7: Add vinegar. It will fizz a bit, but that is just the vinegar reacting with the baking soda. Remember those volcano experiments in school?!
Step 8: mix together well until you can form a small ball when you squeeze it in your hand.
Step 9: Press firmly into ice cube tray or mold. Allow to dry completely. I usually let it sit in the sun for a few hours. If drying inside, it is best to leave overnight to make sure it is completely dry.
Have you ever made your own cleaning products? I would love to hear what you made and how it worked for you!
(For another option, we have a simple recipe for dishwashing powder made up of only two ingredients in this Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Recipe.)
- Ice cube tray or silicone mold
- Add washing soda to a medium size bowl
- Add borax
- Add baking soda
- Add Epsom salt or table salt, sea salt or coarse Kosher salt.
- Add essential oil(s)
- Add food coloring
- Add vinegar. It will fizz a bit, but that is just the vinegar reacting with the baking soda.
- Mix together well until you can form a small ball when you squeeze it in your hand.
- Press firmly into ice cube tray or mold.
- Allow to dry completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.