Looking for a new breakfast casserole idea? If so, you absolutely MUST TRY this yummy Apple Challah French Toast Casserole. It's easy to put together and guaranteed to be loved by the whole family! It may even become a new family favorite!
This Apple Challah French Toast Casserole is simply AMAZING! If you're tired of the same old breakfast recipes, then you simply must give this easy casserole a try!
But, who says you have to limit it to breakfast? Actually, my family loves breakfast food for supper. And since it is so sweet and delicious it makes a great apple dessert too.
This casserole is loaded with deliciousness! Using challah bread, apples, and spices, this yummy casserole is sure to please!
And, did I mention the wonderful aroma while it is baking?! It makes the whole house smell great (way better than any candle).
More Breakfast Casseroles:
Cheese, Bacon and Potato Breakfast Casserole: It is an easy way to feed your family or a whole crowd for breakfast or brunch.
Easy Breakfast Scramble: This yummy casserole is simple to make with only 5 ingredients and is sure to please your hungry family!
Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Quiche: This delicious recipe mixes up in one bowl and miraculously forms its own crust as it bakes. It's perfect for a weekend brunch or easy weeknight dinner.
Now, let's move on to the recipe for this deliciously sweet Apple Challah French Toast Casserole!
Apple Challah French Toast Casserole Recipe
(See recipe card below for quantities and details)
- challah bread, cubed
- white sugar
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- apples, cored and diced
How to make Apple Challah French Toast Casserole:
1. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the bread and apples in the casserole dish. Toss together.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Pour evenly over the casserole.
4. Cover and refrigerate to allow the bread to soak for at least an hour or overnight.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for 60 minutes or until the eggs are completely set.
6. Serve warm with honey or maple syrup.
What Type of Apple is Best for Baking?
We like to combine the colors of green Granny Smith Apples and red Honeycrisp Apples, which are also apples that are great for baking because they have a great sweet/tart balance and hold up in high heat. Two other options are Braeburn and Jonagold.
is a good substitute. It's very similar to challah except that it uses butter instead of oil. You can also substitute with , but you'll get a different taste and texture. is our favorite option since the enriched dough with eggs and oil adds a lot of flavor.
How to Serve a Sweet Breakfast Casserole:
At breakfast you can top your casserole with syrup, honey or fruit preserves. You can also sprinkle the top with . For dessert we like to top it with vanilla ice cream or cinnamon ice cream. Caramel sauce also makes a delicious topping.
How to Make as an Overnight French Toast Casserole:
It's super easy to mix up this casserole the night before and save time in the morning. After mixing all the ingredients together, cover and store in the refrigerator. In the morning, just bake as directed.
Print this easy casserole recipe!
- ½ loaf challah bread, cubed
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cups milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large apples, cored and diced
- Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the bread and apples in the casserole dish. Toss together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Pour evenly over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow the bread to soak for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for 60 minutes or until the eggs are completely set.
- Serve warm with honey or maple syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.