What do you know about body language? I remember learning about body language way back in my high school year freshman English class, but I don't know how much of it I remember. I think it's time to start brushing up because according to body language expert Tonya Reiman, body language can make a big impact on how others think about us and can give us an insight into those around us as well. Last week I had the opportunity to interview Tonya. Watch our video below and then continue on for a recap of her helpful tips about how to make a good first impression.
In our busy digital world, we often meet people online before we ever meet them in person. These are some helpful tips to follow to make sure our body language is portraying what we want it to portray!
How to Make a Good First Impression
1. Touch + scent = unforgettable. Making a good and lasting impression goes far beyond physical appearance. Both physical interaction and fragrance play a big role. According to a recent survey, nearly half of men are more likely to remember a woman’s scent or touch than her name. Why? A touch can forms a bond, commitment and intimacy, while scent triggers feelings and memories. Find a way to incorporate a natural touch (shake hands at an interview or brush up against your date); that instant connection is electric and makes an indelible memory.
a. Bonus, if you’re wearing Caress® Love Forever™ Body Wash, it will release a burst of perfume upon touch to truly captivate the person you’re meeting.
2. A smile is a gift – use yours to pay it forward! Smiling communicates confidence, makes you more attractive, shows you’re interested and lifts moods. The sight of a smile creates a chemical reaction that decreases stress and boosts feel good transmitters in the brain. It’s contagious and others can’t help but smile back, so you benefit from the same positive effects.
a. Practice smiling at 10 people each day – you’ll be surprised to see that 90% will smile back at you.
3. Play up your sensual side: Did you know your neck is actually a sensual spot? If you’re going on a date, draw attention to that area by wearing a necklace that lands right at the base of your neck (your super sternal notch) and draw attention to that area during the date with a natural touch.
a. Just make sure you forego a heart necklace which signals you’re already taken.
4. Beam with confidence. Show you’re comfortable in your own skin – stand tall, make sure hands are turned down (hands turned up are a submissive sign), make eye contact and dress in something that makes you feel good. You will radiate and be irresistible.
5. Layer your fragrance. Scent is a major factor in attraction. Create a signature scent by stacking fragrances. Notes such as vanilla, amber, sandalwood and musk can actually enhance any other fragrance that you wear. Make your base a fabulous fragrance that has these notes like the new Caress® Love Forever™ Body Wash; it releases fine fragrance when skin is touched for up to 12 hours.
6. Posture, posture, posture. It’s a given that good posture communicates confidence and it’s the first thing you notice about a person, but did you know that it can actually make you feel better? When you sit or stand tall, more oxygen is released to the brain, which in turn makes you feel healthier, livelier and rids the body of toxins. Go ahead – be a Fabulista and stand up straight!
7. Play it coy. When you really want to reel your date in, don’t give it all away. Maintain an air of mystery by slightly embellishing the busyness of your life and leaving some questions unanswered. It will leave your date wanting more.
8. Talk without words. The average person takes in more signs than they realize, so if you’re looking to show someone you’re interested, lean in while you’re talking, point your feet toward the other person and nod while they speak to let them know you’re listening. Even the way tilt of your head speaks volumes – a tilt to the right signals you’re trustworthy (perfect for a job interview), while the left makes you more attractive (try it on a date). Want to take it one step further? A soft touch to your heart and exposure of your neck are sure to send a message of sensuality.
9. Fake it ‘til you make it. You don’t have to be a 10 looks-wise to come off like a 10. When you’re confident and feeling your best, people actually perceive you as better looking. So stand up straight, smile and sneak in a little touch and fragrance for a winning result.
10. Center of attention. There’s no better way to catch the eye of an admirer than being the life of the party. We’re often drawn to those who are at the center of it all. If you’re uncomfortable when you first walk into a room, wave to the wall. That gesture immediately makes others think you’re important and have a higher social status. If you’re already a social butterfly, surround yourself with people, place yourself in the center and engage in lively conversation. You’re sure to be noticed and approached.