As the perfect side dish for your summer barbecue or a potluck dinner, Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe ranks well! It’s slightly sweet, a little tangy, and oh-so delicious!
If you have ever had a Hawaiian plate lunch, you know that the two mandatory sides sitting next to your entree are white rice and macaroni salad. You’ll find them nestled right up next to your main dish of BBQ, fish, fried chicken, Spam, hamburger steak – or whatever your choice may be.
I personally love SPAM – maybe it has something to do with it coming from my home state of Minnesota!
OK – back to the side dishes…. While the white rice is fairly standard, the second side is a bit different than your typical macaroni salad. It’s super creamy and what really sets it apart is the slightly sweet and tangy taste. And I have to say this slightly sweet macaroni salad adds a nice compliment to the smokey flavor of SPAM.
If you want a touch of Hawaii in your own home, you can recreate the experience with this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe.
But don’t limit yourself to enjoying this when recreating your favorite meal from Hawaii! This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe is quick and easy to make and perfect for any backyard BBQ, weekday lunch or potluck dinner. It’s also easy to double the recipe to make an extra large batch to feed a crowd.
When it comes to serving, you can place it in any bowl, but I like a brightly colored bowl to add to the tropical feel and to highlight the bright colors of the carrots and the scallions in the macaroni salad. These Pioneer Woman ceramic mixing bowls are super bright and cheery AND they are versatile for all kinds of uses in the kitchen and for serving.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Ingredients:
1 pound elbow macaroni
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups mayonnaise, divided
2 cups whole milk, divided
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin (about 5-7 scallions)
1 ½ cups minced celery
1 ½ cups shredded carrot
How to Make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until very soft (10-12 minutes). Drain, return to cooking pot immediately and toss with apple cider vinegar. Allow macaroni to cool for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the mayonnaise, 1 ½ cups of the whole milk, the brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
3. Once the macaroni has cooled for 10 minutes, toss with the mixed sauce and let cool to room temperature.
4. Once cool, fold in the scallion, carrot, and celery. Whisk together the remaining 1 cup mayonnaise and ½ cup whole milk and pour over macaroni salad. Toss well to coat. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
5. Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 651mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 5g