Cars 2 Week at Thrifty Jinxy continues with another fun craft project. Take this idea for a spin and turn an ordinary toilet paper tube into a hot rod! It's a fun activity for any kid who loves cars and wants to make one they can create themselves from the wheels on up!
Only a few simple supplies are needed to put your car together. Then you can get as creative as you want to decorate your car! you can add the decorations with construction paper, paint or markers.
Once you make your cars you can line them up for an imaginary race or you can continue on to make a paper track to line them up at the starting line.
Toilet Paper Tube Race Cars
Toilet paper tube
Black craft foam
Paper for decorations (optional)
Small paper fasteners
1. Coat the toilet paper tube with a coat of acrylic paint.
2. Once the tube is fully dry, mark the location of the cockpit, steering wheel, and wheels as shown above.
3. Snip out the cockpit and punch holes at the wheel and steering wheel marks. Fold the steering wheel flap down and the other flap up to serve as a seat back.
4. Cut 4 wheels (about the size of the toilet tube ends) and a quarter-sized steering wheel out of black craft foam.
5. Cut 4 quarter-size hubcaps out of aluminum foil. Punch holes in the centers of all the circles. Glue the hubcaps onto the wheels and decorate the steering wheel with foil accents.
6. Give your mean machine a custom paint job; you can glue on paper decorations and add numbers as well.
7. When you're ready to roll, attach the wheels and steering wheel to the tube with small paper fasteners. — Start your engines!
See all of our other Cars 2 fun HERE!