We have more Cars fun today with a craft project. This is a fun way to liven-up a boring plain t-shirt. Your kids could even wear their Cars tire tracks shirts for a Cars movie night! Using a small tire, such as a lawn mower replacement tire or a wheel from a large toy dump truck, you can leave striking patterns of tracks on your “plain ‘ol” T.
Make Tire Track T-Shirts
• Wooden dowel or long handle wooden spoon
• Small replacement tire or large toy truck wheel
• 2 rubber bands
• Black fabric paint
• Paper plate
• Foam brush
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper or a drop cloth to protect it.
2. Place the T-shirt flat and place a piece of cardboard between the front and back layers to prevent the paint from bleeding through.
3. Insert the dowel/spoon handle through the center of the tire. If the handle isn't thick enough to keep the tire from sliding back and forth, wrap a rubber band around the wood on each side of the hub.
4. Pour some fabric paint onto the paper plate. Use the foam brush to apply paint to the tire treads all the way around.
5. Now have your child take a practice run or two by rolling the tire across newspaper to see how the prints look. Once he/she gets the hang of it, apply more paint to the tire, and you're ready to print tracks on the shirt. Print a pair of tracks, like the ones on the shirts shown here, or cover the shirt with a crisscross of prints.
6. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before removing the cardboard. Then heat set the paint according to the manufacturer's directions.
See all of our other Cars fun here.