These 20 Oktoberfest Recipes offer both sweet and savory favorites. The German recipes will help you celebrate Autumn with a family dinner or festive party!
We have started to talk about fall favorites recently and another highlight of the season is Oktoberfest! The original Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, traditionally runs from mid to late September to early in October.
Although they have canceled the 2020 event, there's no reason we can't celebrate at home with some delicious food!
Here in the US we can find lots of local Oktoberfest celebrations running throughout the fall. Even if you can't get out to an Oktoberfest event, you can plan your own at home or create a delicious Oktoberfest dinner for the family.
My family is of German heritage, so I have always been partial to polka and other other types of German music and all the other fun that Oktoberfest brings. But, the highlight of any Oktoberfest celebration (especially since I'm not a big beer drinker), is the FOOD!
There are so many German specialties that make my mouth water just thinking about them. My very favorite are all the baked goods. Germans really know how to bake and I am happy that we have lots of great German bakeries here in Minnesota.
But, there are lots of German recipes that you can make at home and they are perfect for creating your own Oktoberfest celebration. Whether it will just be a special Oktoberfest dinner for your family, or an all-out Oktoberfest bash, these 20 Oktoberfest Recipes will help you plan the perfect menu!
Oktoberfest Handheld Costume PropsGerman Alpine HatBeistle 120 Foot Bavarian Check Flag PennantOktoberfest Fraulein ApronPretzel Eyeglasses (12/Pkg)Octobeerfest T-Shirt (L)Brewer's Best – Home Brew Beer Ingredient KitOktoberfest Party ButtonsOKTOBERFEST CUPS
Besides checking out the yummy recipes, check out the fun ideas above for your Oktoberfest celebration. There are some super festive Oktoberfest party options!
20 Oktoberfest Recipes
1. Beer Bread With Onions – This quick bread has only a few ingredients, comes together quickly, and produces a fantastically beery, oniony final product.
2. Beer Braised Sausage on Sweet & Spicy Warm Slaw – This easy-to-prepare dinner results in a colorful and delicious meal.
3. Black Forest Poke Cake – This Black Forest Poke Cake is a gooey chocolate cake filled with hot fudge and cherry pie filling. It is topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
4. Averie Cooks – Hard Apple Cider Mule – If you want to change things up from beer, this fall twist on the Moscow mule will leave you thinking that autumn never tasted better.
5. Authentic German Potato Salad – This authentic German potato salad recipe has a rustic homemade taste and texture that makes it a great side dish.
6. German Chocolate Cream Cheese Snack Cake – This looks just like a recipe my German grandma would have LOVED! She usually put some coconut either inside or on top of her bars!
7. Crock Pot Pork Roast With Sauerkraut and Apples – Using the slow cooker makes this the moistest, most tender, most flavorful pork roast that's not too sweet and not too “sauer”.
8. Mini Caramel Streusel Cake – These amazing little cakes are filled with caramel. What makes it even better is that they are hand held, making them extra convenient for a party.
9. Homemade German Pretzels – Pretzels are a must at any Oktoberfest celebration! This authentic German pretzel recipe is easy to make at home and you'll love them.
10. Kraut Bierocks – German Cabbage Burger – Another awesome handheld option is these flavorful sandwiches wrapped into little pockets of dough.
11. Apple Streusel Bars – Even after Oktoberfest, these delicious apple streusel bars will find a permanent place on your dessert or brunch table!
12. German Apple Cake – This just might be the quintessential autumn dessert. Not only it is easy to make, it doesn’t require the use of a stand mixer or electric hand mixer.
14. Chocolate Stout Beer – If you want to get ambitious and try brewing your own beer, this chocolate version is a winner.
15. Baked Brats & Sauerkraut – This oven-baked recipe is a simple, hearty comfort food meal that is perfect for a party or for a busy weeknight as a family dinner.
16. Spicy Sausage & Beer Cheese Dip – This easy party dip is made in a slow cooker with sausage, green pepper, onion, beer, and cheese.
17. Bratwurst Dippers and Easy Cheese Sauce – This recipe is fun and easy for a party! The cheese sauce is perfect for dipping bratwurst slices, pretzels or other party foods.
18. Partybrot – German Party Bread – You can make a traditional partybrot (it’s pronounced “broat” like boat) coated with an egg wash just before baking and sprinkled with poppy seeds and sesame seeds, or try this twist that uses sesame seeds and coarse salt instead.
20. Eat. Drink. Love. – Beer Burgers
21. German Fried Egg Cake (Spiegeleierkuchen)- This cake is extra fun because it ends up looking like there is a fried egg on top of each piece.
Which recipe will you try first??