This Ultimate Chili Cheese Dog Recipe starts with homemade chili that is quick and easy to make, but OH SO delicious!
When it comes to All-American foods, I’m thinking that the chili cheese dog has to be at the top of the list! You start with a hot dog, as in “Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet” and then take it further by adding a classic Tex-Mex chili too it and, of course, some good old midwestern dairy cheese.
The end result is a super delicious creation perfect for lunch, game day, or an easy family dinner.
With this Ultimate Cheese Dog Recipe, the flavor packs a punch by starting with a homemade chili. BUT, the good thing is that the chili is actually super easy to make.
When you’re making the chili portion, you may want to double (or maybe even triple) the recipe and save the extra frozen in small portions in the freezer.
That way whenever you want to make chili cheese dogs you just have to defrost a container of your homemade chili to top your dogs.
I recently bought a set of these freezer containers and they are SO convenient. I love how well the containers and lids stack in the cabinet, taking up hardly any room. And once they are filled they stack great in the freezer too.
Ultimate Chili Cheese Dog Recipe
1 lb Ground Beef
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp Salsa
8 Hot Dogs
8 Hot Dog Buns
8 oz Cheddar Cheese
Diced Onions (optional)
How to Make Homemade Chili Cheese Dogs:
Brown ground beef. Drain.
Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, tomato paste, ketchup, salsa and 1/2 cup water.
Simmer 20 minutes.
Heat hot dogs in a frying pan with 2 Tbsp water, cook on the grill or submerge in boiling water.
Toast buns in 300 degree oven until they begin to brown.
Squirt mustard on bun and add hot dog.
Top hot dog with chili, diced onions and cheese.
PIN IT ON PINTEREST:
Ultimate Chili Cheese Dog
- Brown ground beef. Drain.1 lb Ground Beef
- Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, tomato paste, ketchup, salsa and 1/2 cup water.1 tbsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Onion Powder, 2 tbsp Tomato Paste, 1 tbsp Ketchup, 1 tbsp Salsa
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat hot dogs in a frying pan with 2 Tbsp water, cook on the grill or submerge in boiling water.8 Hot Dogs
- Toast buns in 300 degree oven until they begin to brown.8 Hot Dog Buns
- Squirt mustard on bun and add hot dog.
- Top hot dog with chili, diced onions and cheese.8 oz Cheddar Cheese, Diced Onions
- Serve immediately.