Summer is here and for many of us the weather is HOT!! We had 100 degree heat index warnings in Minnesota this week. While we may have air conditioners cooling our houses, there is no reason to fight them by heating up the oven – and that's where easy-to-make slow cooker meals come in!
I love using my crockpot all year round, but the summer is when I give it the most use. I especially like simple recipes with both meat and veggies to make a complete meal. Everything in one dish makes things so easy (and delicious!)
This Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe is a perfect example. It's way tastier than something you would order from the local Chinese take-out place and since you're making it yourself you can control all the ingredients that go in to control salt, fats and ingredient quality.
Serve this meal with some freshly cooked brown rice and you're good to go. Even better – the leftovers heat up wonderfully, so you'll have a second night of dinner without heating up the house.
You might want to consider using a slow cooker liner for this dish. We all know how hard it can be to clean up after anything made with honey or sugar – they can get sticky! You can find them here. Once you are done cooking and serving, just pull the liner of the pot and throw away. You’ll be left with a totally clean slow cooker with nothing to wash!
Another great idea for work lunches is this Crock-Pot Lunch Crock Food Warmer. You can leave the warming base at work and use the removable food container to transport your lunch from home. The warming base will keep your food warm or heat your foods over time. It's a good way to avoid standing in line to use the office microwave (which is usually pretty filthy inside anyway!)
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
1 pound boneless chicken breast
2 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
¼ cup chicken broth (we used low-sodium)
⅓ cup of low sodium soy sauce (or use Liquid Aminos as a gluten-free alternative)
½ teaspoon of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of honey (can also use brown sugar)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
sea salt to taste (optional)
1 cup pineapple chunks (fresh or canned – we used fresh)
2 bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces – we used one red and one green
3 tablespoons of cool water
2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch **use more or less depending on how thick you want the sauce
- Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick coating spray.
- Place chicken inside the slow cooker. ( You can also used frozen chicken breasts)
- In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and push chicken down making sure chicken is covered with sauce.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5-7 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
- Tear or shred chicken with two forks into chunks if you are using whole chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to make a thickener. Pour in to slow cooker and whisk gently with chicken mixture. Gently fold in pineapple chunks and bell pepper.
- Cook mixture on high for an additional 20 minutes until sauce thickens and the pineapples and bell peppers are slightly tender.
- Season to taste with salt if desired.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions if desired
- Serve immediately over brown rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutrition has been calculated automatically and may not be accurate.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 826mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 26g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition has been calculated automatically and may not be accurate.