This recipe for Mini Shepherd’s Pies in Muffin Tins is a fun way to celebrate the holiday! It’s especially good for a party with easy to serve, individual portions. If preparing these the day before your celebration, just refrigerate in the cupcake foils. When you remove them from the refrigerator, just peel off the foil and the pie will hold its shape. Place on a plate to reheat and you’re ready to serve!
Note: For this recipe you can use any type of mashed potatoes. I used instant potatoes, but added in 1/3 cup greek yogurt (you could use sour cream) to make them extra creamy and easier to spread.
Mini Shepherd’s Pies in Muffin Tins Recipe
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 cup beef broth
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
3 cups mashed potatoes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 12 foil liners in muffin tin.
- In a frying pan, cook onion in olive oil over medium high heat until translucent. Add in ground beef and cook until browned. If there is a lot of fat from the ground beef, pour it off at this time.
- Add in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add in ketchup, broth, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and veggies. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide meat mixture between muffin tins.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a large zip-top bag, seal and cut off one corner of the bag. (If you have a pastry bag, you can use that instead.)
- Squeeze potatoes onto each cup. Use the tines of a fork to slightly “rough up” the potatoes and make a nice texture.
- Bake for 15 minutes. If you prefer your potatoes slightly golden, place under the broiler until browned.
This is an example after reheating!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that help support our site with no additional cost to you. See our complete disclosure policy here.