This Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe is perfect for National Cherry Month, Valentine's Day or any time of year!
While this Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe is delicious any time of year, it is particularly fitting for February. Not only is it National Cherry Month, but these red and white cuties are perfect for Valentine's Day!
Later in the year, these pretty and tasty cherry cupcakes also add a summery feel to your picnic or backyard BBQ.
Maraschino Cherries flavor the batter and add a pop of color to the cupcakes and the frosting also has a hint of cherry flavor thanks to the cherry liquid.
If you want to add even more bright red color to your cupcake presentation, you can bake them in red foil cupcake liners. Their shiny surface will play off those bright red cherries.
For another delicious cherry recipe, try our Maraschino Cherry Cookies recipe! They're super easy to make starting with a boxed cake mix.
Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe
Yields: 18 cupcakes
Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, drained, liquid reserved
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup maraschino cherry liquid
¼ cup whole milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 egg whites, beaten
Optional: pink food color
Reserved 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry liquid
1 cup butter, softened
3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
18 maraschino cherries with stems
How to Make Cherry Cupcakes:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line regular-size muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
2. Finely chop cherries and place in paper-towel-lined bowl to drain while preparing batter.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
4. In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup cherry liquid, the milk and 2 teaspoons almond extract.
If desired, stir in a few drops of food coloring until desired pink color is achieved.
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Fold in chopped cherries. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full.
7. To make frosting, combine butter, sugar and salt in a bowl. Beat until blended.
8. Add the milk, vanilla and cherry liquid and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
9. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish each with 1 cherry with stem.
- • 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, drained, liquid reserved
- • 2 cups all-purpose flour
- • 1 tablespoon baking powder
- • ¼ teaspoon salt
- • ½ cup unsalted butter
- • 1 ¼ cups sugar
- • ½ cup maraschino cherry liquid
- • ¼ cup whole milk
- • 2 teaspoons almond extract
- • 2 egg whites, beaten
- • Optional: pink food color
- • Reserved 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry liquid
- • 1 cup butter, softened
- • 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- • 2 teaspoons milk
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1/8 teaspoon salt
- • 18 maraschino cherries with stems
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is calculated automatically and may not be accurate.