Start a new Thanksgiving tradition by making these DIY White Chocolate Wishbones. You're not limited to just one wish bone for the whole family, so everyon can join in on the fun!
The tradition of breaking wishbones has been around for thousands of years! According to my limited internet research, it goes all the way back to the ancient Romans who would pull apart chicken clavicles hoping to attain good fortune.
That custom eventually evolved into our current Thanksgiving tradition of breaking turkey wishbones, with the actual term “wishbone” coming into use in the middle of the 19th century.
Now the tradition calls for two people to each grab one end of the wishbone and pull while making a wish. Whoever ends up with the bigger piece gets their wish granted.
Since every turkey has only one wishbone, that means only two people get to take part in the tradition every year. To turn this into a tradition everyone can take part in (and in my opinion a much better one where you don't have to grab slimy turkey bones), we have this fun White Chocolate Wishbones recipe.
You can make enough wishbones for everyone at your Thanksgiving dinner to participate!
Our instructions below show how to make your own free-hand design, but if you want to make things really easy, you can use a wishbone candy mold.
DIY White Chocolate Wishbones Recipe
How to make chocolate wishbones:
1. Line a baking sheetbaking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat in 30 second intervals until the candy melts are fully melted. At this point you can use a wishbone candy mold, or continue with the steps below.
3. Spoon melted chocolate into the inside corner of a sandwich baggie.
4. Snip off the corner of baggie. Don’t cut too much – just a little snip.
5. Start the wishbone on the bottom by squeezing a small amount to create an oval shape. Without lifting the baggie, continue to the left of the oval like you are making a half heart. When you get towards the top of however big you want your wishbone then squeeze a little extra to make an oval shape again.
6. Lift the baggie off and go back to the bottom oval and make the right side exactly how you made the left.
7. To harden, cool in fridge for about 3-5 minutes.
8. They are now ready to snap and eat or store in airtight container.